Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Why do I run?


     Whenever someone asks me if I play a sport and I respond that I am a runner, the most common response I receive is a grimace accompanied by a phrase something like, “Oh my God, I don’t know how you do that. I hate to run.” I would try to explain it to them, but it would entail too much effort. Even if I did explain, honestly, they probably still wouldn’t understand. Most people don’t understand the reasons why I run, but I wish they did. Running has been such a rewarding experience for me throughout my life and I wish others could also give running a try, because I think they would enjoy it as well.

     I recall a shirt the high school cross country team had made while I was on the junior high team. On the front of it the shirt said, “Why do I run?” and the back of the shirt said, as if answering the front said, “Why do I breathe?” (Okay, actually the back of the shirt said, “Why do I breath? because some dummy spelled breathe wrong and no one on the team noticed, but that is besides the point.) This may seem like just a silly quote, but for the last four or so years, the answer to the question of why I run really does seem this simple. Simply put, I am a runner. A great deal of my life revolves around running. I would not be who I am today if it were not for running.

     Running was not always such an important part of my life, though. When I was younger I was a competitive gymnast. My school did not have a gymnastics team, but I knew I wanted to be a part of a school team. So, naturally I tried out for the cheerleading team when I was in 7th grade. After the tryouts I waited by the phone for hours, anxiously awaiting the call that would determine my fate as a junior high student. The call never came and I cried to my mom a lot that evening. Although I did not make the coveted spot on the cheerleading team, I knew that I still wanted to compete in a sport. The other options for the fall were soccer, swimming, basketball, and cross country. Basketball and soccer each required a lot of skill, and let’s just say, I was not that coordinated. I didn’t really like to swim that much. I hated getting water up my nose. However, I had always been a little talented at running. Whenever we would run laps at gymnastics I would easily finish first, and I had even won the 400m at the 6th grade junior Olympics. (Okay, this may not seem like a big deal now, but as a sixth grader doing well at the junior Olympics was like winning a gold medal at the actual Olympics.) For these reasons I decided on cross country.

     The first couple years I enjoyed running, but I definitely was not fully committed. I never ran on my own and I didn’t really care too much about my race times. As I got older I became more and more dedicated to running and at the same time discovered the reasons why running would become so important to me.

     One of the biggest reasons I love to run is because I thrive on competition. Running is one of the purest competitions there is. All of the competitors line up together on the line, the gun goes off, and it is a fight to the death until the first runner reaches the finish line. In a sport such as basketball or soccer, a player can rely on their teammates for help or make a lucky shot or goal. In running, the only one you can rely on is yourself. There is no aspect of luck. When it comes down to it, the runner who is most prepared will win. I love that raw sense of competition. I may not have the most talent in the world, but if I dedicate myself to running, my hard work can work wonders for me.

     I love the simple joy of running. Competing against other runners is fun, but I also find enjoyment on training runs. I love to be able to go on a long run on a country road or trail. I don’t worry about what pace I am running at or how far I may go. There is something distinctly pure and unique about a solitary run surrounded by nature. So often we take advantage of our surroundings. Oftentimes I hear students here at St. Francis complaining about the fact that our school is in the middle of nowhere. As a runner, this has never been a complaint of mine. I love the rural area our school is nestled in. My teammates and I run down the back roads around here that most people don’t even know exist, and this has led us to appreciate the area. I can do an early morning training run on a dark dirt path through a farm, and look out at the horizon to see the sun rising from behind a mountain covered in changing leaves. I can do a run we call “Three Mile Island” and run past a random house surrounded by three lakes with small islands in the middle, and a junkyard full of items from generations gone by. I have even stopped to pet new born baby cows at a dairy farm, something I probably would have never gotten to do otherwise. I have run along the rim of the Grand Canyon and along the waves crashing onto the beach as the sun rose above me.
Above: A picture of the Loretto countryside. 

     Running is a way for me to push myself to achieve feats I never thought I could. As a ninth and tenth grade runner, I was probably a little less than average. I was the fourth or fifth best runner on my team, and sometimes as low as eighth. If you told me as a ninth grader that one day I would be on scholarship at a division 1 school, I would have never believed you. I am still not an amazing runner by any means, but my dedication has proven to me that if I keep working hard anything is possible. In distance running, the only person who can truly hold you back is yourself. I finish my races feeling that I can always work a little harder, run a little faster, or go a little farther in order to reach my goals.


     I run because it has helped me to form meaningful relationships. The majority of my best friends have been people I have ran with. They go through the same trials and tribulations that I have encountered, and we are always there to lend each other a helping hand. The goal of accomplishing a common task can truly bring people together. It makes you work for a cause that is bigger than yourself. On long training runs, you have the chance to talk to your teammates about everything under the sun. This really allows you to get to know each other on a higher level than you do in normal relationships. We have struggled together, and I would do anything for my teammates.

     I run because it is more than a sport, it is a lifestyle. People who play contact sports may enjoy them during their youth, but not too many people play basketball, soccer, or football until they're well into their elder years. I can continue to run as long as I want to. I have been to road races where 80+ year old women have finished. In their eyes as they receive recognition I see pure love of the sport. Running also keeps me in good shape, which is a plus! I never have to worry about looking bad in a bikini come summer. A lot of people run simply for the physical benefits of it. Of course, I like being in shape, but that is not one of the primary reasons I run. I stay in shape so that I can compete to my best ability. I do not run to stay in shape simply for the reason of staying in shape.

     I run because I have faith. It makes me appreciate the incredible body that God has blessed me with. Running has made me realize just how much the human body is truly capable of enduring. Whenever I am in pain during a workout or race, I think back to the pain Jesus experienced while hanging on the cross. For him I continue to run. God has blessed me with a talent and I intend to use that talent to my best ability. Running has made me experience the natural beauties created by God. Through running I have been able to build relationships with people who share my beliefs in the glory of God. Before races my teammates and I huddle together and pray to God, thanking him for the ability to run that has been blessed upon us.

     I know not everyone will enjoy running as much as I do. It takes a huge commitment, one that many are not willing to give. However, I hope some of my reasons for running can convince someone else to give the sport a try. It may just change their outlook on life, like how it has changed mine. 

5 comments:

  1. Did I improve on showing my personality in my writing? How can I still improve upon this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely. You're writing is personable and engaging. Your personal anecdotes and stories really drew me in and gave me a different perspective on the sport. - Alex P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylie,

    Your four new posts are a marked improvement over the first one. Your writing is more personal and interesting. Your first post was a little dry and seemed to drag but you're new posts are amazing. I'm genuinely interested in what you're writing about. I particularly liked your posts about living in a dorm as a runner and your post about why you run. They were personal and genuine and I like that. You didn't really link to outside sources but that's okay with me. I hardly ever follow those links and you're posts are based more on personal experience and opinion rather than facts and news. I like what you've got going here. Keep up the good work.

    All the best,
    Alex Peruso

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is 'Atta girl!" You did a marvelous job at letting your voice shine through. Facts are great, but it's so nice being able to dive into the depths of Kylie and see why running is so important to you personally. Definitely keeps me interested! Keep it up :) -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I said, I really love that your showing your voice. I really love this entry about why you love to run. For someone who can barely run ten feet it inspires me to want to try more! haha and I love love love the paragraph about how running connects you to God. That is so beautiful! I also like how you offer good advice to other young runners based upon your own personal experience, such as the roommate situation. I can see that could be very beneficial to someone! Everything is definitely building on each other and with each post I can see your love for running more and more. I guess try to pull in some more outside evidence. But all that aside, keep up the great work! Can't wait to read more! Keep running your little heart out :) -Angela

    ReplyDelete